Friday, August 28, 2009

End of summer ...

Without the various home projects this summer, I don't think I would have made it thru the summer months. There were long, dark days of debilitating depression. Only having stuff to do got me out of bed most days ~ at least I got out of bed every day. Med adjustments & other helps have allowed me to get back on track. Still adjusting to some of the changes, but doing MUCH better.

Besides getting the office/guest room done, I hired a painting crew to do the entry, living room, stairway & upstairs hall. The colors went from dark green & multiple colors of butterscotch to beige with a pink tint. SO much better! I knew I couldn't do it myself & was grateful to have it done by a crew.

After getting the living room painted, Giles & Joe helped pull up the 20+ yr. old carpet. The hardwood floor underneath is FABULOUS! No refinishing required. What a blessing! Dave didn't know about any of it, so he was REALLY surprised when he got home from 3 wks of being on the road.

While Dave was on the next trip, my precious neighbor painted our bedroom for me. (I was diagnosed with tennis elbow, so I can't paint, crochet or reupholster like I enjoy doing. Altho, I did finish her other chair & then got the sofa done while they were on vacation for a wk.) Again, after having the room painted, Giles, Joe & Emily helped pull up the old carpet from the bedroom & hall. LOTS of staples to pull out! Again, the floor is in fabulous condition. With the furniture rearranged (bed in the same place ~ no choice about that), curtains, coverlet & throw rugs, the transformation is amazing! Again, Dave didn't know & was pleased with the change when he got back.

Last Friday was our 28th anniversary & Dave REALLY surprised me with my gift. He had been planning to take me to Shelter Cove, CA since Feb. when he was out there. He wasn't going to tell me until a few hours before the flight left, but decided he needed me to get things ready bec. he had to be away on a job (Obama town hall in Grand Junction!). I was very glad he told me! Having lost nearly 20 lb, I had time to get clothing that fits (as opposed to belting 3+" at the waist!). We had a great time ~ quiet, foggy (which was fine with us), good food, talking & even sightseeing. What a delightful vacation & gift!

Now I can focus on getting things done around the house again. The basement STILL needs to be cleaned up. My neighbor is going to help re-do the two upstairs bathrooms (another project Dave doesn't know about!). And, I'm trying to be more diligent about picking up & cleaning ~ not my strong suit, that's for sure. Having tennis elbow & ligament problems with my left foot have really cramped my schedule & plans, but I know the Lord will get me thru this too.

Maybe I can be more consistent with updating my blog ...

2 comments:

  1. A most productive summer, dear friend....Spiritually, Emotionally, and Mentally, even tho' you had the physical to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profile changed! THIRD year teacher who still doesn't know what she's doing...hehe. I loved spending time with you this summer. I had a lot of fun helping with the house! Thank you soooo much for picking out my new classroom pillows and books. I can never have too many of those! I love you Mommy!

    ReplyDelete